- 1 # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
- 2 What Is Kewpie Mayo? – # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
- 3 What Does Kewpie Mayo Taste Like?- # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
- 4 Kewpie Mayo vs. Regular Mayo (What’s the Difference?)- # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
- 4.1 1. They Taste Different – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
- 4.2 2. They Look and Feel Different – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
- 4.3 3. They Have Different Ingredients – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
- 4.4 4. The Prices Are Different – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
- 5 Difference Between Japanese and American Kewpie – # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
- 6 Kewpie Mayo Ingredients- # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
- 7 How to Make Kewpie Mayo – # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
- 8 Where to Buy Kewpie Mayo- # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
- 9 What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)- # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
You are reading the article: What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It) – World Ramens
Kewpie mayo is a popular Japanese condiment similar to American mayonnaise, but made with more egg yolks for a creamier texture and a sweet, tangy, and umami-rich flavor. It’s used for dipping, in salad dressings, and as a finishing sauce.
Bạn Đang Xem: # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
# What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
If you’ve ever been to a Japanese restaurant, you’ve probably wondered, what is Kewpie mayo?
And how is it so different from what we’re used to?
Kewpie mayo is a popular Japanese condiment similar to American mayonnaise. The biggest difference is that it calls for 4 egg yolks per 500g, making it extra creamy, with a sweet, tangy, and umami-rich flavor. It’s used for dipping, in salad dressings, and as a finishing sauce for things like okonomiyaki.
Try this stuff once, and you’ll never go back to Hellman’s. #sorrynotsorry
It’s just that good!
From the thick, custard-like texture to the unique savory notes under the eggy finish, it’s impossible to resist double dipping your fries.
Plus, it tastes incredible on everything from burgers and chicken tenders to shrimp tempura and even egg rolls (trust me on that one!).
So if you’re ready to learn more, keep reading. We’ll go over everything from the taste to how it’s made.
What Is Kewpie Mayo? – # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
Kewpie mayo is a brand of Japanese mayonnaise invented in 1924 by Toichiro Nakashima. He aimed to create a mayonnaise similar to the kind he tried in the States but at a higher quality with more nourishment. He did this by using twice as many yolks, creating a richer flavor and thicker texture,
So, it’s been around since the 1920s. But it’s gained a cult following in recent years thanks to TikTok.
The main ingredients are vinegar, eggs, oil, MSG, and salt. And as for the name “Kewpie,” that’s simply the brand.
What Does Kewpie Mayo Taste Like?- # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
Kewpie has a very rich and creamy taste with notes of sweet, savory, and tangy goodness. It tastes similar to typical American mayonnaise but has more umami egginess, thanks to the higher volume of yolks. It’s also thicker than regular mayo but somehow lighter overall.
Mostly, the bold umami flavor is what sets it apart from American mayonnaise brands.
Kewpie Mayo vs. Regular Mayo (What’s the Difference?)- # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
I’ve already touched on a few ways that Kewpie mayo and “regular” mayo differ. But let’s break their differences down even further:
1. They Taste Different – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
As I mentioned, Kewpie mayo and American mayo taste very different.
So where Kewpie mayo has more umami flavor and tastes slightly eggy, regular mayo is a little sour and quite salty, depending on the brand.
See More : # Ina Garten Pesto (Easy Recipe)
Furthermore, Kewpie mayo doesn’t contain water, so there’s just more of everything. As a result, it’s tangier, zestier, bolder, and more flavorful.
2. They Look and Feel Different – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
Both inside the bottle and outside of it, Kewpie mayo looks different from regular mayo.
Squeeze Bottles vs Jars – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
First of all, the mayonnaise doesn’t come in a jar. Instead, it comes in a handy squeeze bottle for ease of use.
Of course, you’ll find a few American mayo brands in squeeze bottles. However, jars are still considered the norm.
White vs Yellow – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
And while both are pale cream condiments, you’ll notice Kewpie has more yellowish-brown in it.
In contrast, most American mayo brands are whiter.
Texture – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
Additionally, Kewpie mayo looks thicker and creamier than regular mayonnaise. It also feels thicker and creamier.
It’s a more decadent option overall and has a smoother mouthfeel.
3. They Have Different Ingredients – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
Most mayo brands contain water. Kewpie mayo does not.
Kewpie mayo also uses only egg yolks, resulting in an eggier flavor and way more richness.
Also, Kewpie puts MSG in its mayo, which is a huge difference from American mayo brands.
Finally, Kewpie mayo boasts a wider variety of vinegar types in its ingredient list.
4. The Prices Are Different – what is kewpie mayo Worldramens
Unfortunately for Kewpie lovers, this stunning Japanese mayo is much more expensive than regular mayo.
Depending on the size of the bottle and where you buy it, it can cost as much as $20!
Since it’s become more popular and easier to get, the prices have gone down. It’s easier (and cheaper) than ever to buy Kewpie mayo.
Still, it’s quite a bit higher than American varieties.
Difference Between Japanese and American Kewpie – # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
As I said above, Kewpie mayo has never been more accessible in the United States.
The prices are better now, too, because there’s a variety of Kewpie manufactured right here in the U.S. by a division of Kewpie Corp.
The original Kewpie mayo came from Japan, and most of it is still made there today. However, there’s now a version manufactured in California.
The primary difference between the two – besides where they’re made – is one single ingredient: MSG.
The American version doesn’t have it. Instead, it contains yeast extract for that signature umami flavor.
Oh, and besides swapping out yeast extract for MSG, American Kewpie also adds a little sugar.
So yes, they do taste a little different. Plus, you can tell them apart by how they’re packaged.
If you want the original Japanese version, look for a bottle in a plastic bag.
Kewpie Mayo Ingredients- # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
The following is an ingredient breakdown of the original Japanese version of Kewpie:
- Egg yolks. The star ingredients in Kewpie mayo are its pasteurized egg yolks. Most American brands use whole eggs. But using just the yolks gives the mayo a creamier feel and a bolder, egg-forward taste.
- A vinegar blend. This, too, is different from most American mayo brands. (They typically stick to only a single type of vinegar.) Kewpie mayo contains a blend of vinegar types, including rice, apple cider, and more.
- Vegetable oil. There’s nothing special about this ingredient. It simply adds flavor and helps keep everything mixed.
- Salt. Salt is an easy, inexpensive flavor enhancer for mayo.
- MSG. Egg yolks may be the star ingredient, but MSG is Kewpie’s secret weapon. It adds a huge wallop of flavor and makes the mayo absolutely addictive. Its absence is also why the American version of Kewpie doesn’t taste as good.
How to Make Kewpie Mayo – # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
Making a DIY Kewpie mayo is simple. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean it will taste precisely like the real thing.
But if you’re craving it and can’t get it, here’s what you’ll need for a substitute:
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon MSG
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
Start by mixing the vinegar, salt, egg yolks, and MSG in a clean, dry bowl.
Then, add the vegetable oil very slowly, whisking while you pour. Once it’s smooth and creamy, it’s ready to enjoy.
Where to Buy Kewpie Mayo- # What Is Kewpie Mayo? (+ How to Make It)
Once upon a time, getting Kewpie mayo in the United States was almost impossible.
Your only options would have been to purchase it online or at a local Asian market.
And you can still find Kewpie in those places today.
Fortunately, though, most grocery stores now carry it, too. You can even find it at mass merchandisers like Walmart or Sam’s Club.
Check the ethnic food aisle of your grocery store first. If it isn’t there, look for it on the condiment aisle instead.
Be sure to look for the original Japanese version in the plastic bag. (If you want the yummy MSG-enhanced flavor, that is.)
If you see a bagless Kewpie bottle with the label on the bottle, it’s the American version.
What is Kewpie Mayo?
Kewpie mayo is a type of Japanese mayonnaise that has a unique, creamy texture and a sweet taste. It is made with a combination of egg yolks, rice vinegar, and vegetable oil, and is much thicker and richer than traditional American mayonnaise. It is often used as a condiment or as an ingredient in dishes such as salads, sauces, and sandwiches.
What Makes Kewpie Mayo Different from Other Mayonnaises?
Kewpie mayo is made with a unique combination of egg yolks, rice vinegar, and vegetable oil, which gives it a much creamier texture and a distinct sweet flavor. It is also much thicker and richer than traditional American mayonnaise. Kewpie mayo is also much more popular in Japan, where it is used in a variety of dishes.
How Can I Make Kewpie Mayo at Home?
Kewpie mayo is easy to make at home. All you need is egg yolks, rice vinegar, vegetable oil, sugar, and salt. To make the mayo, combine the egg yolks, rice vinegar, and sugar in a bowl and whisk until combined. Then, slowly add the oil while whisking until the mixture thickens. Finally, add the salt and stir until combined.