- 1 # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
- 2 What Is Amish Sugar Cream Pie?- # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
- 3 Ingredients – # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
- 4 How to Make Amish Sugar Cream Pie – # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
- 5 Tips for The Best Sugar Cream Pie – # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
- 6 How to Store and Freeze – # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
- 7 More Old Fashioned Treats You’ll Love- # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
- 8 Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe- # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
You are reading the article: Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe – World Ramens
– Amish sugar cream pie is an old-fashioned dessert that is sweet and creamy.
Bạn Đang Xem: # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
# Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
Have you ever had a slice of Amish sugar cream pie?
No? Then get ready to fall in love because this old-fashioned dessert is decadent, sweet, and oh-so-creamy.
Like most Amish recipes, this dessert is super simple and delicious. It needs ten ingredients, but they’re all pantry staples.
If you like Chess pie, you have to try this simpler version. They’re similar, but Amish sugar cream pie doesn’t contain eggs to make the vanilla custard.
See More : Tzimmes Recipe (Best Version) – by Tomer
Still, it’s ultra-rich and sweet, and I know you’ll love it.
What Is Amish Sugar Cream Pie?- # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
Amish sugar cream pie is what’s known as a “make-do” pie. This means the baker had to “make-do” with what they had in the cupboard. Featuring sugar, milk, cornstarch, and margarine, it’s very straightforward, but the silky smooth custard is hard to resist.
Believe it or not, this pie dates back over 200 years. And it’s so popular it was named the official state pie of Indiana in 2009!
You might hear it called “finger pie” because some bakers stir the pie ingredients with their fingers to prevent air bubbles.
We’ll use a spatula. Oh, and go for a store-bought pie crust to make things easy.
Ingredients – # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
As mentioned, this pie calls for pantry staples. So, here’s what you need to make this delectable dessert:
- White Sugar: You can’t have a sugar cream pie without sugar! Don’t worry, it’s not too much sugar.
- Salt: A pinch of salt helps to balance out the sweetness. It takes the flavors from flat to full in no time!
- Half-and-half: This helps to bring the creamy element to the pie filling. Whole milk could be used in a pinch, but you don’t want it to be too thin.
- Whipping Cream: Whipping cream will make the pie filling ultra-creamy. If you only have half-and-half, you can use that for the full cream amount.
- Brown Sugar: While you can use just white sugar, adding brown sugar gives it a deeper flavor.
- Cornstarch: This is what thickens the custard without any eggs.
- Margarine or Butter: Not all sugar cream pies call for butter, but I think it makes for the best pie.
- Vanilla: A splash of vanilla adds a touch of warmth.
- Pie Crust: Make your own, or use a pre-made crust. Either way, it’s the filling that makes the pie!
- Spices: While totally optional, a sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon adds great flavor to the pie.
How to Make Amish Sugar Cream Pie – # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
Have I already mentioned that this pie is super easy to make?
Here’s a step-by-step summary as proof, and you’ll find more detailed instructions below.
- Prepare the crust for baking. Preheat the oven and place the pie crust on a baking tray.
- Make the pie filling. Boil the cream, half-and-half, white sugar, and salt. Gradually mix in brown sugar, butter, and cornstarch. Then whisk the mixture until thick and creamy.
- Bake the pie. Pour the pie filling into the crust, and bake for 25 minutes, or until a golden crust begins to form on top.
For an extra touch of flavor, sprinkle some spices over the top when it comes out of the oven.
Tips for The Best Sugar Cream Pie – # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
With such an easy recipe, it’s really hard to go wrong!
But there are a few tricks you can use to make sure you get the best sugar cream pie possible.
- Bake the pie over a cookie sheet to prevent messes in the oven. Depending on how deep the pie dish is, the custard may spill over while baking. So, add a cookie sheet to catch any drips.
- Don’t overbake the pie. It should be jiggly, or maybe even a touch runny when you take it out of the oven. Let it sit or chill in the fridge to set up properly.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Because it is cream based, letting it sit at room temperature will cause a spoiled pie in no time.
- Serve with fresh berries on top. A splash of color and bright flavor goes great with this pie.
- Blind baking the pie crust. Since the filling is so wet, this will just ensure the pastry cooks properly. Also, add a layer of foil to the edges so they don’t burn.
How to Store and Freeze – # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
As I said before, it’s important to store this pie in the fridge. The cream base will quickly sour if you don’t!
- To store in the refrigerator: Cover the cold pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3-5 days.
- To freeze: Cover the cold pie with plastic wrap, and store it in the freezer for up to six months.
Thaw in the fridge overnight and enjoy!
More Old Fashioned Treats You’ll Love- # Grandma’s Amish Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
Mock Apple Pie